Sunday, January 15, 2012

GPS to Jeff: Continue on This Road for a Long Time

Potatoes, like realy good ones
Last night, after being awake for what I am guessing to be 36 hours, I went to bed around 2 am (I don't recall exactly, as I was decidedly intoxicated). Nonetheless, I managed to take the advice of people who told me to not go to sleep right when I got to my hotel. After getting settled in and accepting the fact that internet access is going to be challenging, I proceeded to venture out, making it all of 100 feet from my hotel when I spotted a quaint little place called Cafe Frieden. Decided it was time to do what one must do in Germany, and went in for a beer. 2L of Pilsner and an interesting conversation with a local later and I was off to find food! While walking I stumbled upon an American diner aptly named The Fifties. Decided it would be interesting to experience the German interpretation of the theme and went inside. First things first, more beer. Second, order food. I am not a big burger and fries guy, so I ordered the chicken breast with melted Swiss cheese and mushrooms, which came with a side of delicious potatoes with bits of real bacon and green onion.  The ambiance  and food were pretty good, but not on par with Johnny Rockets take on the theme. I did enjoy the 50's diner style swivel stools, and the art deco jukebox looked really cool, but the music played on the flat panel TV's strung on the walls was more the Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake variety.  Based solely on the number of diners, I'd say it's a hit here.
The Fifties

Random fashion trend thought...To me, folding up the bottoms of your blue jean legs is really saying "I found 30/34 pants on clearance when I really wear 30/32's"
One of my adult life goals is to make a really worn out pair of jeans without cheating. 

When I asked my server where good nightlife options were, she told me about a place adjacent to my hotel called the Edelweiss (which is a flower, btw)
Here I go, on to the The Edelweiss
I walked in and BAM, it was pretty packed! Everyone was dressed fairly nice, as it was Saturday night. This will totally not matter to you, but I was wearing my black Lululemon Work to Play pants, blue A&F button down L/S shirt, black Kenneth Cole sneakers, and my tan Kona Brewing Co. military style hat. Not bad, but not clubby.
Edelweiss fun
But I digress... Drink order, Red Bull & Absolut, or as ze Germans say, Vawd-ka Red Buul (VRB).  Got that good jet lagged buzzed and delirious party night feel in my bones... Could tell it was going to be a fun night, so I thought a wardrobe change was in order for later hours. Walked the 50 feet to my hotel, ditch the hat and shirt, opting for my favorite white Lucky Brand Tee.
Didn't really talk to anyone in great length, but the people watching was great. Wish I spoke German, because then I probably wouldn't appear so strange to people here.

Intoxicatedly unfucked after too many VRB's,  I head off to my room to crash, and crash I did!!
I literally could have stayed right there in that comfortable cocoon of a bed all day, but knew better than to do that.

Today I finally ventured out, and on the way to the pool ran across a BMW dealer, stopped and gawked at a few cars, X6M, 1M, and an M carbon fiber bicycle... (holy shit cool)
I have not found a Yoga studio here, but did find a swimming pool place (a term highly unrepresentative of 'pools' here)

Funny how everyone has had food and beer tips, but not one, nien, on anything fitness related. I did find a great pool/sauna facility, and thankfully don't have to lap swim naked. If I get fat in Germany I am blaming all you bastards  who were happy about me going

Sundays in Germany are very quiet on the commercial shopping side, but on the Schwimbad side they are jumping!  I have been to several German pools before, but this one was  definitely the most interesting! 

I got in 50 laps, but must preface that Germans, while although impeccable drivers who can vault safely down the Autobahn at ridiculous speeds, apparently don't know shit about staying anywhere close to "in their pool lane."  Anyway, after laps I decided it was time to explore the massive facility...this pool complex is huge, several areas to check out, including an outdoor steamed section that included a waterslide I could not resist.  It was connected to an enormous indoor swim area via water bridge with a plastic divider 'thingy', separating the two areas. #awesome. Really cool! Waited in line on the stairs for 20 minutes to get a ride down the slide and it was totally worth it! Pool was amazing, and I will be back many times for sure. I didn't venture into the sauna area (#nudity) so that was not a factor in my impression of the place. If you've been to a beach/pool/sauna where nudity is accepted you may appreciate my sentiment that it's normally the people with bodies that definitely should definitely remain covered who seem to be the ones to take part.

From my Yoga reading, this was the best thing today: We must find within ourselves the maturity to tolerate the duality of our nature, while allowing the possibility of victory over our darkness. So true, accepting ourselves for what we are and striving for be better, to be who we know we already are...

Tipping in Euro is so messing me up once again.

And I'm thinking that's a good enough summary for today.  Yes, enough to recall the memory of what it was, and that's all i got...
One Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment